Cancer causes many more deaths than coronavirus.

A day does not go by that we are not reminded of the escalating increases of COVID-19 cases, or the tragedy of hospitals overwhelmed with new ICU patients, or the death rates that are at or above the daily highs set many months ago.

How does coronavirus deaths compare to seasonal influenza? We do not know because this year’s flu season is not over. Early reports indicate that cases of seasonal influenza are lower than last year. The reason given is the protective measures taken to avoid coronavirus are working to prevent getting the flu this year.

Deaths from COVID-19 in the United States have reached over 300,000 people. That number could be argued upward or downward. Some researchers have told us that COVID-19 has been around since December and the statistics were not kept for those first few months.

Other researchers will tell you that the real number is 10-20% of the number reported because deaths with COVID-19 or deaths because of COVID-19 are lumped together and it is impossible to tell if a person died of heart failure, pneumonia, or the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Deaths from Other Diseases The CDC reports that in 2018 over 650,000 deaths were attributed to heart disease and nearly 600,000 deaths from cancer. Almost as many people died of Alzheimer’s disease in 2018 as those who are reported to have died of coronavirus this year. Ironically, the demographic is nearly the same for both COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s disease.

Cancer Deaths Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States and in the world. The CDC reported that over nine million people died of cancer in 2018. That number equates to 26,000 people dying daily of cancer.

In the United States, the death rate for cancer is going down while the number of deaths is increasing each year. Older people are more likely to die from cancer and the older generation is increasing each year. Nearly 90% of cancers are found in those over 50 years of age.

The National Cancer Institute estimates that 2020 will have over 135,000 deaths from lung cancer, about the same number of deaths this year for coronavirus. Colorectal cancer will claim over 50,000 deaths. Pancreatic cancer will fall short of 50,000 deaths. Breast cancer clocks in just over 40,000 and liver cancer a touch over 30,000 deaths.

Causes of Cancer When I asked my wife’s oncologist about what caused her cancer, he told me that the medical community does not know. They suspect things, like smoking for lung cancer. Why would an oncologist not know? I asked myself that question more than a few times.

If you do not know what causes something, how do you correct it and prevent it from happening again? Articles tell us that smoking, radiation, pollution, alcohol, obesity, poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and other factors cause cancer. Sun causes skin cancer. Some will add the genetic factor.

Genetics can be ruled out in nearly 95% of the cases when we change our lifestyle. Epigenetics can turn on or off switches that trigger inherited genes. If 5% of the causes of cancer are genetic, what can be done about the other 95%? Most scientists and doctors cannot tell us.


My research shows that stress, toxins, radiation, infection, inflammation, diet, and even expectations can cause cancer. However, I think that cancer is not caused by a single thing, but rather multiple things over time.

It has been known for a long time that chronic low-level inflammation at the cellular level is the start of nearly every disease. DNA mutations occur that are not corrected, and a diseased cell doubles and doubles again and continues its path to a full-sized tumor.

It takes years for a tumor cell to grow large enough to be detected if you knew exactly what you were looking for in the first place. There are no symptoms telling us that we have cancer growing in us. Most of us have cancer seeds implanted in various places in our bodies and are kept at bay by our immune system. Left unchecked, then the tumor can grow.

When people choose not to be checked on a regular basis, the tumor can grow until something happens that captures your attention. A doctor might tell you that testing revealed this or that type of cancer, or that you have six months or less to live.

Cancer is something all of us know about from our families, friends, or co-workers. Someone we knew died of cancer. Most likely, someone, we knew died with or of COVID-19. In both cases, that person was over 50 years of age. Many more people die each year from cancer compared to coronavirus.

Live Longer & Enjoy Life! – Red O’Laughlin –




3 Responses

  1. Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *